Q. What is QuickSearch?
Answered By: Beth Juhl Last Updated: Oct 17, 2016 Views: 928
QuickSearch is a new library search engine that includes records for books, articles, conference proceedings, theses and dissertations, videos, music, images, manuscripts, standards, maps, and more. We have added all the records from the library catalog to QuickSearch. It indexes the full text of most of the e-books and the e-journals that we subscribe to, in addition to thousands of open access journals. A single search in QuickSearch can return records from all of these sources. It's your first stop for exploring our collections.
Benefits of QuickSearch...
- Simple, easy-to-use interface
- Search results include citations of many kinds of sources: books, journal articles, newspaper articles, conference proceedings, dissertations, photos, multimedia, and much more
- Search results can be quickly narrowed by using facets:
- content type
- publication date
- discipline or subject area
- library location
- Search results can be limited to scholarly or peer-reviewed sources with one click
- There is an Advanced Search option
- Searches can include materials that are not part of our collections, but which can easily be requested through our interlibrary loan service
- QuickSearch is optimized for use on phones and mobile devices
- Citations in your search results can be viewed in six commonly used citation formats (APA, AMA, MLA, Uniform, Chicago, and Harvard), exported to RefWorks or EndNote, emailed, and printed
- RSS feeds are automatically created for any search you run; subscribe to a feed to receive notification when new search results meet your criteria
- Unlike most of our licensed databases, QuickSearch is not restricted to current University of Arkansas students, faculty, or staff; anyone (including alumni) can search the database.
Access to full-text, subscribed resources does require users be on the campus network or logged in remotely.
...But keep in mind
- QuickSearch includes many, many resources, but not everything the University Libraries subscribe to
- Comprehensive searches on a topic require using subject-specific databases
- The WorldCat union catalog of libraries worldwide is not in QuickSearch
- Vague or short searches may return too many results; searches using more specific search terms or phrases in quotes will return fewer, more refined results. Adding just a few terms to your search will narrow it quickly. Examples:
|Broad Search (so many results!)||More Precise Search (that's better!)|
|africa||africa freedom movements|
|GMOs||GMOs Europe regulation|
|shakespeare||shakespeare women characters|
|college sports||college sports finance|
|vaccines||vaccines public health|